Sunday, April 9, 2017

Married By Morning

Book Review of Married By Morning  (The Hathaways Series)


Title: Married By Morning  

Series: The Hathaways Series


Author: Lisa Kleypas


Date Published:  May 25th 2010 


Date Read:   April 17, 2016


The Blurb:

He is everything she wants to avoid...


For two years, Catherine Marks has been a paid companion to the Hathaway sisters—a pleasant position, with one caveat. Her charges' older brother, Leo Hathaway, is thoroughly exasperating. Cat can hardly believe that their constant arguing could mask a mutual attraction. But when one quarrel ends in a sudden kiss, Cat is shocked at her powerful response—and even more so when Leo proposes a dangerous liaison.

She is not at all what she seems...

Leo must marry and produce an heir within a year to save his family home. Catherine's respectable demeanor hides a secret that would utterly destroy her. But to Leo, Cat is intriguing and infernally tempting, even to a man resolved never to love again. The danger Cat tried to outrun is about to separate them forever—unless two wary lovers can find a way to banish the shadows and give in to their desires...


My Review



3 Marks Missed The Mark Stars


“Are you afraid of me, Marks? You, who bludgeon and cut me down to size at every opportunity?” “Of course not, you arrogant ass. I only wish you would behave like a man of your station.”-Leo and Cat 


“Ah, there’s the governess voice. All stern and disapproving. It makes me feel like a naughty schoolboy.”-Leo 


***Spoilers***


I have to be honest and say that this book just wasn't a hit for me. I was really looking forward to Leo and Cat's story. After reading Leo suffering the lost of his love Laura. Go into self destruct mode, nearly kill himself in the first book. To really turn his life around starting with the second book I was dying for him to have his HEA and for it to be a great one. Cat and Leo's story has been building up since book two. Fighting like cats and dogs I figured this book would explode with passion. Sadly this book was just okay for me.

“No. In fact—” She broke off abruptly. “In fact?” Leo prompted. “What were you going to say?” “Nothing.” “You were. Something along the lines of liking me against your will.” “Certainly not,” Catherine said primly, but Leo saw the twitch of a smile at her lips. “Irresistibly attracted by my dashing good looks?” he suggested. “My fascinating conversation?” “No, and no.” “Seduced by my brooding glances?” He accompanied this with a waggish swerving of his brows that finally reduced her to laughter. “Yes, it must have been those.”-Cat and Leo 




“I have never said this to anyone before.” Leo’s voice was like ragged velvet. “But the idea of you with child is the most insanely arousing thing I’ve ever imagined. Your belly all swollen, your breasts heavy, the funny little way you would walk … I would worship you. I would take care of your every need. And everyone would know that I’d made you that way, that you belonged to me.”-Leo 
Leo was amazing. He was charming, sarcastic, funny, and super protective. He is the reason this book got 3 stars. He and Dodger the ferret! He really shined in this book. He wanted Cat and he romanced her. Waited for her. He slowly broke down her walls and showed her, she could trust him. He respected her and made her feel beautiful. I never felt like Leo wanted his dead ex more or that he still loved her. Leo was all about Cat. Leo was great which is why I was so disappointed with Cat's pushing him away until like the 98% mark of the book! I wanted to pull my hair out. At the start of the book Cat was sweet, vulnerable and I could understand her fear. When the book laid out the life she was running from and we readers got the back story I could sympathizes with her. But I lost all that sympathy after she slept with Leo repeatedly and then turned down his numerous marriage proposals. I may have forgiven her cowardly fear if she didn't push Leo away until the last few damn pages before the epilogue! Really what Leo was good enough to sleep with but not good enough to Marry? Leo suffered too much for her to push him away so damn much. It just pissed me off. And like I said I could understand her fear to a point, but she just took that shit too far. I wanted to shake her hard and be like "Get the fuck over yourself already whiner!" just sayin!

“Don’t try to be charming,” she muttered. “There’s nothing more annoying than someone trying to make one feel better when one wants to wallow.” Leo bit back a grin. “I’m sorry,” he said contritely. “Go on and wallow. You were doing so well at it until I interrupted.” “Thank you.” She heaved a sigh and waited a moment. “Blast,” she finally said, “I can’t do it now.”-Cat and Leo



“I wouldn’t believe you. Because I know how unhappy you would become, seeing your sisters’ marriages, remembering how devoted your parents were to each other, and knowing that ours was a counterfeit by comparison. A parody.” “What makes you so certain that we won’t come to care for each other?” “I just am. I’ve looked inside my heart, and it’s not there. That’s what I meant before. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to trust anyone enough to love them. Even you.” Leo’s face was expressionless, but she sensed something dark lurking beneath his self-control, something that hinted of anger, or exasperation. “It’s not that you’re unable,” he said. “It’s that you don’t want to.”-Cat and Leo 

There wasn't a lot of other Hathaways in this book as there were in other books and I missed them. Poppy was in this book with Harry more than the others. I wanted more Win, Kev, Cam, Amelia, and Bea. Dodger the ferret was adore in this book. I kinda want a pet ferret now lol! Overall Leo saved the book for me. I didn't hate Cat I just thought she could have loved my Leo back sooner. I did enjoy the epilogue, although with their relationship not really being sealed til the last few pages it made the ending feel rushed. I have been really looking forward to Bea's story. I hope I love it better than this one. Still a great series and I am still loving the Hathaway!

“I love you,” he said shortly. As he stared at Catherine’s small, shivering figure, he felt his color run high, and his soul open with an emotion deeper than he had ever imagined could reside in him. “I love you, Marks. My heart is completely and utterly yours. And unfortunately for you, the rest of me comes with it.” Leo paused, struggling for words, when they had always come so easily to him. But these had to be the right words. They meant too much. “I know I’m a bad bargain. But I’m begging you to have me anyway. Because I want the chance to make you as happy as you make me. I want to build a life with you.” He fought to steady his voice. “Please come to me, Cat, because there’s no surviving you. You don’t have to love me back. You don’t have to be mine. Just let me be yours.”-Leo 



No comments:

Post a Comment