Friday, January 13, 2017

Guardian's Heart

Book Review of Guardian's Heart (Fire and Snow Series)



Title: Guardian's Heart

Series: Fire and Snow Series


Author: Khloe Wren


Date Published: January 5th 2016


Date Read:   January  13, 2017


The Blurb:

The last thing Snow Leopard shape shifter Dominic expects to find at an accident scene is his mate, the beautiful Adele. After four years of him dreaming of her, there she is, right in front of him. However, winning the heart of his lonely, grieving mate is no simple task. Just as their relationship begins to heat up a gravely injured child, Kelly, stumbles into their lives after escaping and fleeing her abuser. Will Dominic and Adele's bond grow stronger as they nurture and protect Kelly? Will their relationship be able to survive all that fate plans on throwing their way?

My Review


2.5 conflicted Stars



******Spoilers*******



Let me start by saying that I had a really hard time rating this book, and I find myself having a equally hard time writing this review. I am conflicted on my feeling of this book. I tried two times in December to read this book but couldn't really get into it. I gave up and tried to come back at a later date. This time I made myself sit down and finish it. So now I sit trying to piece together my thoughts. I didn't like this book but I didn't hate it either. Truly I never connected to the book or the main couple. 




One of the problems I had was there was way too much going on in this book. It would bounce from one point of view(pov) to another, to another, to another, to another and not just the main couple but like 6 or more different people's povs. It was so busy it made it hard to get invested. 



Another thing that bothered me was there was some dark stuff in here. Now I read dark romances and I love them but 1. I like to know when something is going to be dark so I am in the right frame of mind for dark. And 2. I don't like dark when it is young children. I have a harder time reading about rape, abuse, and torture of children. In this book we had an 11 or 12 year old girl name Kelly. And we readers have to read about how her mom is this evil man's sex slave and the girl lives listening to this man beat and rape and chain her mom. Then in the story the man beats the mom to death and decides to take Kelly and make her his slave. So I had to read about him hanging Kelly, a child from chains, naked, and beat her repeatedly and talk about raping her. He never does rape her because she escapes but it was really hard for me to read. I cringed many times. 



And the other reason I feel I didn't really connect with this book is I felt there wasn't much meat to it. I felt that Dominic, Adele, their relationship, and the plot were all pretty much one dimensional. There wasn't any depth because there was just too much going on for anything to dig deep. It just jumped from Dominic, to his brother , to his father, to evil rapist, to Kelly, to Adele, to Cop etc.. leaving me feeling like I only scratched the surface. So while this book wasn't for me I didn't hate it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment