Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Her Darkest Nightmare

Book Review of Her Darkest Nightmare  (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles)


Title: Her Darkest Nightmare

Series: The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles


Author:  


Date Published: August 30th 2016 


Date Read:    August 23, 2016


The Blurb:

THE HUNT FOR A SERIAL KILLER
Evelyn Talbot knows that a psychopath can look perfectly normal. She was only sixteen when her own boyfriend Jasper imprisoned and tortured her—and left her for dead. Now an eminent psychiatrist who specializes in the criminal mind, Evelyn is the force behind Hanover House, a maximum-security facility located in a small Alaskan town. Her job puts her at odds with Sergeant Amarok, who is convinced that Hanover is a threat to his community…even as his attraction to beautiful Evelyn threatens to tear his world apart. 
BEGINS WITH AN ESCAPE FROM HER PAST
Then, just as the bitter Alaskan winter cuts both town and prison off from the outside world, the mutilated body of a local woman turns up. For Amarok, this is the final proof he needs: Hanover has to go. Evelyn, though, has reason to fear that the crime is a personal message to her—the first sign that the killer who haunts her dreams has found her again. . .and that the life she has so carefully rebuilt will never be the same…

My Review


4 Cradle Robbing Stars



*Mild Spoilers*

"Well? What are you going to choose?" "Depends." "On what?" "Are you read to spread your legs for me?"-Evelyn and Amarok 


Let me just say that when I started this book I honestly wasn't very excited. It took so long (a year) for this book to come since I read the last book Hanover House, that I lost interest. I hate when books take forever to come out. I read 100s of books and I tend to forget something I read a year and 200 books in the past. The good news is that Brenda Novak did a great job of grabbing my attention immediately and had me hooked on the story from page 1. I really enjoyed this book almost as much as the Hanover House (the first book). It was an excitingly suspenseful thriller that kept be guessing til the end. The only thing I didn't really like was how much Evelyn was trippin' over herself dating a younger man. Amarok was 7 years younger then her and the way she went on you would have thought she was 60 and he was 18. She used it to push him away and it got on my nerves. I can understand that a older woman might feel a little insecure, but He was 29 and she was 36 that isn't a huge deal and she made herself out to be a cradle robbing cougar.


"You didn't mind being my friend last night. Maybe we didn't have sex, but we came damn close to it. I can still smell you on my fingers."-Amarok 

Quick question Amarok why haven't you washed your damn hands yet?? lol

The age difference was just a little bit too much. Evelyn and Amarok already had a ton to overcome with her horribly traumatizing past and the age thing just felt like overkill drama. Other than that I really loved this book. I was absolutely over the moon for Amarok. He was so sexy, understanding, charming, and just an all around good guy that he really made the book for me. Evelyn was also very endearing. She had lived through something that would have broke many but she has been fighting back and empowering herself since she was a teen. I loved her drive and understood her pain and fear of a relationship. I was glad that she was brave. I love strong, smart, take charge heroines! I also felt that Evelyn and Amarok's relationship was realistic and very sweet. It wasn't rushed which is good because after everything Evelyn suffered I wouldn't believed their feelings if she just jumped into a relationship without problems and fear. Amarok was so support. God I loved him!

"I didn't expect this. Not so soon." "I figure if I want you to lower your defenses, I have to lower mine first. One of us has to take the lead. I can't put that on you, not after all you've been through." "So you're going to be our fearless leader?" she teased. "I'm going to fight for what I'm feeling," he said. "In spite of Jasper. You already mean too much to me. I don't want to lose you."-Evelyn and Amarok 


"I hope you don't mind that Penny knows we're together." "We're together?" she echoed.
"I'm not merely worshiping at your feet?"-Amarok and Evelyn 


The action and suspense in this book was great. The whole in the psychopath minds thing was very interesting. The quotes at the start of each chapter from real life serial killers really upped the creepy, thrill factor for me. This book kept me guessing. Just when I thought I knew who the bad guy was something else would happen then I was guessing again. It kept the book's pace flowing and I never got bored. The ending OMG the ending was so subtlety creepy that it gave me chills. It also gave a glimpse of things to come. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. I just hope I don't have to wait a year for it. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romantic suspense and criminal mind thrillers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment