Friday, November 13, 2015

Candidate: A Love Story

Book Review of  Candidate: A Love Story (Book 2)


Title:Candidate: A Love Story

Series: Book 2

Author:Tracy Ewens

Date Published:June 23rd 2015  

Date Read: November 13, 2015

The Blurb:
If only life were as simple as choosing between Toaster Strudel and Fruit Loops.

Katherine Galloway is two years divorced and still living out of boxes. Between her brothers (cops that work with her ex) and her mother’s constant reminders that her clock is ticking, Kate is trying to hold it all together. But the truth is, she’s eating Toaster Strudel for dinner, and living and breathing her PR career. When it comes to public relations, there’s nothing she can’t handle . . . or at least that’s what she thinks. 

Grady Malendar, the only son of United States Senator Patrick Malendar, has a reputation as a playboy who likes to have a little too much fun. The senator is running for re-election and needs Grady’s help with the youth vote. But what they want is a new and improved, headline-free Grady, so they hire a PR firm. Grady is willing to participate in the dog and pony show to help his father win, but there are some things about Grady’s life he wants to keep hidden. Especially from his snoopy new PR “babysitter,” Kate Galloway.

Somewhere between campaign stops and fundraisers, Kate and Grady discover that neither of them are what they appear to be on the surface. Tensions between them grow until there is no denying they are falling in love behind the scenes of a façade they both need to keep in place. Will scandal, old wounds, and secrets tear them apart, or will Kate and Grady realize, despite appearances, they are both candidates for love?


My Review



                     
                     3.5 Push/Pull Stars 


"Do I make you uncomfortable, Kate?"-Grady



"We don't need dinner to talk strategy. Here it is: Behave, keep your zipper up, smile, and keep your mouth closed unless your brain is engaged. That's it. You'll be thirty next week; this shouldn't be too difficult. I'll handle the rest. Just act like you have something to lose and you're not a completely spoiled... well, ass."-Kate

Candidate A love Story was a pretty good book. The reason I didn't enjoy it more was it made me like it , and frustrated me in equal measure! I loved Kate and wanted to choke Kate also in equal measure. Kate felt real. I could understand her pain, and fear, from being cheated on by her ex husband. So I understood her not wanted to get close to Grady. But I felt she held on to that fear for far too long. The push/pull she did drove me a little crazy, and at times made me want rip my hair out! I loved the other sides of Kate where she was strong, took charge, and smart. I loved that she stood up for herself to her family when they didn't really have her back over divorcing Nick (her cheating ex).

"So let me get this straight. You grew up in a blue-collar family; you work for a living and know how to save money and balance that chip on your shoulder. You are solid and in the real world your life is incredibly complicated. I, on the other hand, was given a trust fund and therefore lack all substance and complexities? Did I get that right, Kate?"-Grady


"Kate, look at me. I don't need to love you or have sex with you to pump myself up or mend my ego. I need... want to be around you. To hold you, laugh with you, and even fight with you. And you're right, you do make me better, that's true, but I can offer you something too. I have things you need. You need me, I can feel it and believe me, no one has ever needed me. They've needed my money or my family connections, but never me. You need me, Kate, and God, over the last couple of months I've needed you."-Grady

Grady was the star of the book for me. He was a very deep, dynamic, and complex character. He shows the world his slacker, rich , playboy side, but there is so much to Grady. I really felt for him. For the hurt teenage boy that walked in and caught his father cheating with his math teacher, and lost his childhood hero-dad. The man that helped so many, but didn't want any of the fame. I especially loved the side of him that seen what he wanted and went after it, fought for it. Grady was very thoughtful. When he let his guard down and let Kate in he was this sexy, playful, smart-ass that was easy in his own skin, and I fell in love with him!

"I'm not scared of being with you." She leaned forward again and softly spoke into his chest what she couldn't bear to admit to his face. "I'm scared of what it will be like, what I will be like, when you're gone. When it falls apart and I..."-Kate


"I'm not perfect, but I did not do this. You know I'm yours Kate, and you're mine. You of all people know that I did not do this. I love you. Can't you just let me..." He touched her shoulder and she went back behind the safety of her desk. Kate never looked up, never looked at him. "Love me back, all the way. I'm worth it, I promise."-Grady

The author did such a good job building up their relationship. You could feel them fall for each other. I did get frustrated with Kate kissing Grady, making love with him, or telling him she loved him and then holding him at arms length. I could understand, to a point, that she was fearful, but she held that fear for far to long. She hurt Grady over what her ex did, and I loved Grady's character so much, that I felt protective of him. I liked most of the other characters. I didn't really care for Grady's father. Besides the fact that he cheated on his wife, he seemed self-center. Other than the push/pull relationship the only other thing I didn't like in this book was the ending. It was so abrupt. No epilogue, just fight, time apart, make up, and bam over. It didn't give me any real closure. Over all this was a sweet, but some what angsty love story. I would like to read more from this author. 






No comments:

Post a Comment