Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Wicked Deeds Of Daniel Mackenzie

Book Review of The  Wicked Deeds Of Daniel Mackenzie                             (Mackenzie & McBrides)



Title: The Wicked Deeds Of Daniel Mackenzie

Series: Mackenzie & McBrides/ Highland Pleasures

Author: Jennifer Ashley

Date Published:  October 1st 2013

Date Read:   May 10, 2015

The Blurb:
Second Sight And Seduction…

Daniel Mackenzie lives up to the reputation of the scandalous Mackenzie family—he has wealth, looks, and talent, and women love him. When he meets Violet Bastien—one of the most famous spiritual mediums in England—he immediately knows two things: that Miss Bastien is a fraud, and that he’s wildly attracted to her.

Violet knows she can’t really contact the other side, but she’s excellent at reading people. She discerns quickly that Daniel is intelligent and dangerous to her reputation, but she also finds him generous, handsome, and outrageously wicked. But spectres from Violet’s past threaten to destroy her, and she flees England, adopting yet another identity.

Daniel is determined to find the elusive Violet and pursue the passion he feels for her. And though Violet knows that her scandalous past will keep her from proper marriage, her attraction to Daniel is irresistible. It’s not until Daniel is the only one she can turn to that he proves he believes in something more than cold facts. He believes in love.


My Review





“I am pleased to hear it, Mr. Mackenzie. However, if you have come tonight to mock me and my work, I will have to ask you to depart. Or at least wait in the hall.” “Why?” His eyes held an impish twinkle. “Does my mockery disturb th’ spirits?”

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie is the 6th book in the MacKenzies & McBrides series. It is a very good read. I enjoyed it, but something was missing from it , I don't know what, but it just wasn't as good as the first 3 books in this series! I know no book will ever stand up to Ian's , because Ian's book is one of those books that stays with you forever, so it is not fair to compare any others to Ian's , but Mac and Cams books are kick ass 5 stars too and this one just didn't hold up compared to their either. Daniel's book was a good solid 4 stars though. 

“You are arrogant,” she said. “That’s true, but is that the best you can do? I’ve been called far worse than that.” “All right, then you are an insufferable, full-of-yourself, aristocratic prig.”

What this book is about

Daniel Mackenzie is all grown up now. 25 years old and he is living his life, sowing wild oats, inventing new things, and living the good life. One night he meets medium Violet Bastien, and knows two things for sure. She is full of crap and he wants her more than he has ever wanted anyone. Violet had lived her whole life fighting for everything she has. Sacrificing her life and happiness to take care of her mother and herself. She has been hurt very badly at a very young age and she knows she can't trust anyone but herself. She lets no one in, tells no one her secrets, and shows no one the real her. Daniel wants her to let him in. In her life, in her bed and in her heart. He wants to earn her trust. Can Violet let her walls down and find happiness, and if so will Violet's secrets prove to be too much for Daniel?

“You mean you sacrificed yourself for her, just as you sacrificed yourself for Jacobi, just as you sacrificed any chance at a normal marriage because he convinced you to. You sacrifice, and you run, and Violet, you have got to stop.”


Daniel:


Danny was cocky as ever, funny, laid back, and he was like a mixture of all the Mackenzie brothers. Maybe that is why Danny didn't stand out for me , cuzz he was like a mini copy of all the brothers in one. Don't get me wrong he was sweet, charming, and super supportive and understand of Vi and all she was going through. He was a great hero, but a month from now I won't remember him from the sea of 100s of other heroes I have read about. 


“Lass, I’m hungry for you too. Believe me, I am. But I’m not going to fall on ye and devour you. Much as I’d like to. I want to get to know you.” His grip softened, and he drew one finger across her cheek. “I want to know all of you, Vi, my sweet South London Sassenach.”


“I had a mixed upbringing,” Daniel said. “My father didn’t pay as much attention to me as I wanted, but he did teach me good things. How to ride horses, how to take care of them, how not to suffer fools. My uncles had a big part in raising me too. From Uncle Mac, I learned how to appreciate a beautiful woman and how to make her the center of my world. Uncle Ian taught me about aiming for what I want and letting nothing—no person, no thought, no fear—stop me. He also taught me how to outthink opponents without letting on that they’re being outthought.” Daniel smiled a little. Ian had never come straight out and said any of this; Daniel had learned it from years of observing the man. “From Uncle Hart, I learned about ruthlessness. Hart also taught me about cultivating people to have on my side. Money isn’t enough. You need friends, people who believe in you. Loyal ones, so when you need them, they’re right behind you.”


“You are stronger than you think.” Daniel cupped his hands around her elbows. “And don’t worry, sweet. I’ll be right beside you to make sure you don’t fall.”


Violet:

I like Vi a lot. I thought she had a lot of courage, and strength to face her past. I like that she was into inventing things too like Daniel. Vi is a adventurous lil daredevil. The fact that she is a medium was a two edged sword for me. At times I found it funny, but then at times I would picture the south park episode where they make fun of John Edwards( a Tv medium) and I would have a hard time taken her character seriously.

“If I see him, I don’t know what I’ll do. I’ve tried to understand, tried to reason why he would do what he did to me, but I find no reason. I loved and admired Jacobi—I’d have done anything for him—and in return he destroyed my life. He’s still destroying it.”


“I do not belong to you. I never did. I was afraid to come here tonight, because I was afraid I’d panic when I saw you. I was even afraid I might forgive you, because you’d tell me your remorse, and I’d feel horrible if I didn’t relent. I didn’t want either of those things to happen, so I didn’t want to see you. But he made me come.” Violet didn’t look at Daniel, didn’t point at him. “Because Daniel knew I needed to see you. I needed to see that you’re a pathetic, weak, friendless soul. That you’re base enough to lock a sixteen-year-old girl into a room with a man and walk away, knowing that man was going to rape her. Oh, you don’t like the word?”


“Well, I am here to become unbound to you,” Violet snapped. “Then I will rush to bind myself in truth to Daniel, because he is a hundred times the man you are. A thousand. He knows me better than anyone else in the world, and I’m not afraid to trust him with that knowledge. He is generous, greathearted, understanding, kind—everything you are not. And I love him for it.”

“I’m never going to be free of this, am I?” “The panicking? You are. Because you’re with me now, and I’m going to keep you absolutely safe.”


Vi and Danny's relationship was slow building and very tender. They are very cute together. Vi's mom annoyed me to no end, and I thought Hart was kinda a jerk again. Of course Hart is kinda a jerk in most the books, and I still love him. I would have loved to see more of fellows and see if he and Louisa have had any children yet. Overall a great read. I am on to the next book. Below I leave my favorite moment from this book:

“Do you have a message for Mr. Mackenzie?” The planchette said Yes. Mademoiselle Violette was very good, but Daniel was good too. “What message?” he asked. Ellingham joined them on the planchette again, and it started to move. Around and around it went on the board, back and forth, sliding toward a letter only to slide away before it could stop. Daniel felt Violette’s subtle but steady pull, and he subtly but steadily pulled back. Mademoiselle kept her countenance absolutely still. If the spirit’s indecision vexed her, she made no sign. The planchette at last halted at the letter F. Ellingham said excitedly, “Someone should write this down.” A gentleman obligingly drew a small notebook and pencil from his coat pocket and wrote F. The planchette moved again. It stopped at U, paused for a time, then slid innocently to the letter C. After another pause, it began a rapid journey toward the letter K. Mademoiselle jerked her hand back, and the planchette stopped dead. The room filled with snickers and chortles. “Well,” Violette said, turning to fully face Daniel. “The spirit seems in a mischievous mood tonight.”



No comments:

Post a Comment