Monday, March 30, 2015

Black Jack

Book Review of Black Jack (Elite Ops Series)


Title: Black Jack

Series: Elite Ops

Author: Lora Leigh

Date Published:   March 2nd 2010

The Blurb: 
The Secret Service can’t control him. The British government can’t silence him. But renegade agent Travis Caine is one loose cannon you don’t want to mess with, so his commanders cut him a break—and cut him loose. His new HQ is America’s top intelligence force, Elite Ops. His new code name is “Black Jack.” And his new assignment is to die for.

She’s smart, sexy, scintillating—and one of Elite Ops’ savviest agents. Lillian Belle’s code name is “Night Hawk,” and Travis certainly wouldn’t mind flying a few midnight maneuvers with her. But when their mission turns into a red-hot game of danger, deceit, and double-crossed signals, Travis begins to wonder: Can he trust her? Can he resist her?


My Review




                 3.5 Mommy Dearest Stars


“God help me, I missed you,” he groaned as his lips tore from hers and moved to her jaw, her neck. “Missed seeing you, touching you.”


So Black Jack is the 4th book in the Elite Ops series. This series started so strong. The last book was blah at best and this one was just a hair above blah. This book could have been so good, but instead it seemed kinda generic and repetitious. You can take the H/H names from the other books and swamp em and no one would probably notice. The sex scenes were kinda boring since they are almost the same scene over and over and over again. The plot was a very small little bit better than the last book , but not by much , because the plot wasn't really believable. Lilly was a Agent of the Elite ops that gets shot and has amnesia, so they sent her home to her old life with a cover story. Then watch her because if she remembers who she and they are they would have to take her out. Why? She was one of you if she remembers how is that a threat. You trusted her for 6 years. I didn't get that. Why not just say hey if you want to keep your life don't say anything or else. It just didn't seem real. They have been her friends and she was trusted and she covered their backs for 6 years and they are just gonna kill her if she remembers instead of when she woke up in the hospital after being shot and didn't remember just telling her hey this is what happened, and we are gonna send you home to try and draw out the killer P. S. don't tell no one or your dead. They all lied to her and turned their backs on her when she needed them. What a great team! It annoyed the crap out of me !

“Well, excuse me for not twiddling my thumbs while I wait on you to take care of poor little ole me.” 


Travis really didn't stand out to me other than he is the so smooth hero that took the heroine virginity with almost no foreplay just a few kisses and some head for him then he just puts her up on a desk and goes for it. Other than that he was just kinda there just your everyday elite ops guy kinda cookie cutter.


“You were my first, weren’t you?” She knew it, sensed it. “I was your only,” he growled, possessiveness raging in his tone and fulfilling some need she hadn’t known existed within her.


“I’m Lord Xavier Travis Dermont,” he whispered. “I’ve danced with you and once watched your eyes fill with dreams, and in that second knew I had taken the wrong woman to wife. I knew, Lilly, because that was the moment I first fell in love with you.”



“You’re mine, damn you,” Travis said as he lifted her and placed her ass on the counter behind her. “You were always mine.”



Lilly was also pretty cookie cutter. Sassy, don't really know who the hero really is but she feels drawn to him and she's sexing him all the time even though she knows he is a lying sack and he is keeping things from her, she just trusts him! 


“I might not remember jack shit but don’t think I don’t know what I’m doing. And don’t think I will ever tolerate you disappearing like that again without one word of warning. Not while you’re sleeping in my fucking bed.”



“So what is this relationship then? Or is it not even a relationship? Friends with benefits? Fuck buddies? What, Travis? Tell me the rules now so I at least know what to expect the next time you decide to disappear for however long.”


“I love you, Travis,” she whispered as she laid her head on his shoulder. “I love you.”


“And I’m a possessive bastard, Lilly. Did I ever mention that?” She shook her head. No, he hadn’t mentioned that at all. Perhaps he should have; she would have melted far sooner. “So that would make this relationship fairly exclusive, wouldn’t you say?” He jerked the hem of her robe to her thighs. “That makes you mine, baby. No friends with benefits. No fuck buddies. Simply fucking mine.”



This book was okay , the editing was better than the last book. Travis and lilly together where cute, Lilly's mother was a royal bitch . The ending felt super rushed and you don't really know what happens to them just that they stay together. Nothing about if she works for the team anymore or any real wrapping up of the story just a "Hey baby I'm staying with you " "Really baby you're staying Cool" The End. Not a bad read but it truly could have been so much better I am disappointed and a little scared to start the next one. Damn my OCD!! I will have to finish the series or it will drive me crazy , but I am not getting my hopes up that the next will be much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment