Saturday, February 7, 2015

Embattled Home

Book Review of  Embattled Home (Lost and Found series)


Title: Embattled Home

Series: Lost and Found

Author: J.M. Madden

Date Published: April 27th 2014

The Blurb: 
His Marine training taught him that failure is never an option regardless of circumstances. That certainly applies to Chad's need to stop Lost and Found's deranged client from using the information he gathered to stalk and abuse his ex. Falling in love with the broken woman and her sweet daughter in the middle of rescuing them is definitely not the best timing. But it's also inevitable. In Book 3 of this heart-warming military romance series, Chad will discover that protecting Lora is a much easier task than proving he’s the one man she can finally trust with her heart. 

Weeks of no incriminating evidence should have clued him in sooner about who was the real victim. Now Chad Lowell is wracked with guilt after the woman he’s assigned to investigate is attacked by her abusive ex-husband right under his nose. Lora and her little girl are in incredible danger, and he vows to protect them at all costs, whether the angry and hurt woman wants him to or not. His Marine training makes the protecting part easy, but nothing he does seems to make Lora want to take a chance on him or his love. 

Lora O’Neil left a life of abuse to make a new start for herself and her daughter. When her ex hires Lost and Found Investigative Service to track her down, she’s left reeling both physically and emotionally. The private detective that had been watching her for the past couple of months did finally come to her rescue, but does that mean she should now trust him to help her turn their lives around? The sexy former Marine makes her body feel things she thought she’d never feel for a man again, but she just can’t imagine what it would take for her to heal enough to ever say yes.


My Review


4.5 Coming home stars





Wow another great book for the Lost and Found Series!!!!! I was looking forward to Chad's book since The Embattled Road and it did not disappoint. This book starts out raw and shows the ugly and true side of domestic violence, rape and it's lingering effects


Chad Lowell has been watching Lora O’Neil for weeks now. His client, Lora's ex husband swears she is a wild party girl and a danger to their daughter Mercy. It is Chad's job to find some dirt on her and to report back, but in all the time he has been watching the beautiful Lora the only thing he sees is that she is a great mother. One night while watching her home he hears a crash of glass and a female scream and goes to check it out. What he finds is Lora's Ex husband his client attacking and trying to rape Lora right under his nose. Feeling guilty and heartsick he vows to protect Lora and her daughter from her evil ex no matter what!

Chad:


I loved Chad he was a southern sweetheart , who knows how to treat a woman with respect and love. He oozes southern charm! He is very protective, brave, with a strong sense to do the right thing. Funny, laid back, and truly understanding, he gives Lora the time and strength she needs to overcome all the pain she is dealing with. 

“I’m sorry. It just pisses me off to no end that a guy would do this to a woman. I’m a Texas boy. Our women are treated with the respect they deserve. I want to take your ex out and beat the shit out of him, then hang him by his balls for the vultures to eat.”


“Then that’s all you need. I’m not pressuring you for anything. Would I like to be in a relationship with you? Hell yes, I would. Though it’s unethical and unwise, I’m seriously attracted to you. But there’s no time limit on it. I’ve been attracted to you for a long time and I’m willing to wait ten times that long if that’s what it takes.”


“I will never judge you,” he whispered into the darkness, his words hitting her heart like a cannonball. “What was done to you should never happen to any woman. I know you feel like you need to make a stand against him, but I don’t want you to rush this. I plan on being here for the long haul, no matter what. Okay?”


Lora:


Dealing with being raped, beatin, abused, and harassed by her ex husband and ex mother n law, Lora is fearful of men! She doesn't trust anyone, and feels alone, with only her daughter, Mercy, she is determined to protect her at all costs. I love that Lora's character didn't just jump into the sack with a guy after the abuse she went through. J.M. Madden showed the real side of rape, abuse and the after effects. I love that even with all the pain and fear Lora has a strong side that is trying to resurface. She wants to reclaim her life and not let her ex husband steal anymore of her life or happiness away, but like true life it is a long road to healing. It made Lora very human and likable.

“Do you think you can…” She paused to drag in a deep breath. “Do you think you can kiss me?” Chad straightened in the water, his eyes latching onto hers. “Is that what you want?”She forced her head up and down, but began to have second thoughts. Chad must have seen something in her expression because he shook his head. “As much as I want to, I’m not going to kiss you. You’re going to kiss me. That way you will know when you need to stop. If you need to stop. Do you understand?”


Lora cringed, just a bit. “I know it’s not ideal, but I’m tired of living with him on my shoulder. I can’t do anything without worrying. I’m ready to take back my life.”


“Chad, stop it. I’m not crying because you hurt me. I’m crying because it was more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. You need to not freak out every time I react to something. You’re making me grow, and I appreciate that more than I can ever tell you.”



I love the patience, strength,and encouragement that Chad gives Lora. He is there for her and puts her first before his own wants and needs. I loved how Lora found the courage to go for Chad. Even when she would get frightened, freak out , run, or cry she would still come back and try again. They both were true overcomers. I loved Chad with Mercy. I thought the whole book was very realistic. I love J.M. Madden's no nonsense, cut through the crap to get to the heart and beauty of real life writing style. I am a fan girl for life and I will read anything she writes!!!!

Favorite moment from the book:

Moving from the couch, he went down on one knee in front of Mercy, sitting on the floor. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny gold ring. “Mercy O’Neil, will you marry me and be my awesome daughter? To have and to hold, in muddy times and clean? And help me keep your mother happy and safe?” Mercy nodded her head as hard as she could, laughing and crying at the same time. She flung her arms around Chad’s neck and sobbed. Lora’s eyes were leaking as well, so overcome with love that he had thought to include Mercy. But then he turned his damp eyes to her and she was rocked with the deep-in-her-heart knowledge of what was coming next. Levering to his feet, still holding Mercy against him, he circled the table to kneel in front of her. Then he reached into that pocket again and pulled out a shining white gold solitaire ring. His eyes incredibly kind, he held it out. “Lora O’Neil, would you do me the honor of wearing my ring? I promise to protect you and love you as long as I’m allowed, in whatever way I’m allowed, and I promise to always have Starlight mints at the ready.”



I can't wait for Duncan's book!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the incredible reviews! I love writing these books, so hang on. There are more coming!

    ReplyDelete