Saturday, February 7, 2015

Embattled Minds

Book Review of  Embattled Minds (Lost and Found series)


Title: Embattled Minds

Series: Lost and Found

Author: J.M. Madden

Date Published: June 30th 2013

The Blurb: 
Zeke Foster has little to no experience with women over the past couple of years, after being injured in Afghanistan. Brutally scarred, he has no expectation that he’ll ever find a woman capable of accepting him the way he is. But he can’t help but be enamored of Ember, the waitress of a local watering hole.

Ember Norton’s life has turned into one devastating catastrophe after another. When the scarred soldier with the kind eyes brings some security to her life, she’s afraid to trust her luck. She’s been self-sufficient for a long time. But his wounded soul calls to her and she finds herself falling for him.
In spite of the secrets he continues to keep.
 

My Review


                       4.5 Oorah! Stars



Wow Embattled Minds is the second book in the Lost and found series and It was better than the first!

Zeke Foster was injured while in Afghanistan serving as a Marine. He suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury )and is scarred all over his body, but mainly his face. He speaks with a stutter. Working for Lost ‘N’ Found Investigative Service has been a real blessing for him. His bosses are great. They understand his needs and the limitations that come along with his injuries. Even though he is doing the best he can and trying to get his life together he is struggling with a lot of insecurities about his looks and very embarrassed and self conscious that he stutters and has a hard time putting his words together. He and his buddies from work have been hitting the local bar and grill every Saturday, where a little dark haired waitress has caught his eye. 



Zeke was sweet, and sexy as hell. I melted the way he was with Ember's son. The way he helped and protected Ember being her strength when she needed him showed what a great guy he is . My heart broke for his struggles. I felt his fear, his frustration, and his pain. His imperfections made him beautiful and courageous and damn if he wasn't a sexy beast in bed! 

“I appreciate the sacrifices you made for your men and our country, but if you ever lay a hand on Ember again, accident or otherwise, I think I’ll have to teach you some manners.”


“You’ve d-d-drugged me. I couldn’t think of anything but you last night and this morning.”


“I would walk over g-glass for you, in a damn hospital gown with my ass h-hanging out. And your son is brilliant. I look forward to playing Legos with him again.” He dared to reach out and tuck some hair behind her ear. “And I love you because you’re the only one that sees me, not the scars or the h-history, just me. You scare the hell out of me with how much you see.”



Ember Norton has been watching Zeke and his buddies come into her place of work every Saturday. She doesn't know why, but she is drawn to Zeke like no other. Tall as hell and built like a shit, brick house. He has scars all over his face, and he stutters, but that doesn't bother her in the least. She talks and flirts with him every time he comes in and tries to find a reason to touch that body every chance she gets, but when her dad, a ex Vietnam vet has a episode and ends up hitting her and sending her to the hospital, Zeke steps up and helps her in one of the worst times of her life, Sparks fly........



Ember was so brave and strong. The way she loved and accepted Zeke's flaws was heartwarming! I love the way she opened her heart to Zeke and gave him her all, showing him over and over again just how sexy, and strong she found him. Letting him see how much she needed him and how safe he made her feel! 

“Now wait a minute. You’ve been with me all day. I’m not blind and I’m definitely not cruel. You know that. I actually do think you’re good-looking. Hell, you’re built like a damn underwear model and have the prettiest ice-blue eyes I’ve ever seen. Yes, you have scars, but they certainly don’t bother me, or turn me off. If anything, they turn me on, because they tell me exactly the kind of man you are.”


"Quit saying that, damn it! You have no idea what I’m thinking. Yes, I am attracted to you, but the only thing fugly about you is your attitude right now.”


“What a freaking ridiculous…” she lunged to her feet, throwing her hands in the air, “senseless, egotistical Marine thing to do! All this protective, defensive bullshit has to stop. I won’t stand for it. I told you flat out that I loved you. I think I loved you when you kicked those college kids out after they grabbed my ass. I know I loved you that day in my office when you held me in your arms as if you couldn’t let me go and let me cry out my frustration. I love your looks, even though,” she glared at him, “you went and changed them without telling me.”


“But your looks aren’t why I love you. You’re strong and resilient and have a heart of absolute gold, and I can tell when you touch me that you would walk over glass for me. Most especially, I love the way you treat my child, with respect and encouragement.”




I loved this book. Found Ember and Zeke's relationship sexy and romantic. Enjoyed everything about this book. The only reason it's not a 5 Star is I wanted it to be longer. I need more , it was too good and I didn't want it to stop! Great read I would 100% recommend this series! 

Favorite Quote: He waited until she met his gaze. “I do love you.” Her face eased and relaxed into a smile. “I love you, too.” “I want you and Drew to marry me.” The nurse lifted the mask completely from him, sniffed and tactfully left the room. Ember’s brown eyes were wide and luminous with tears. One slipped down her cheek. “And I can speak for Drew when I say we want to marry you too. He already told me you needed a family. Our family.”

God I love this series. On to the next book :)



No comments:

Post a Comment