Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Fighting Destiny

Book Review of  Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles)


Title: Fighting Destiny

Series: The Fae Chronicles

Author: Amelia Hutchins

Date Published: June 4th 2013

The Blurb: 
Have you ever heard of the old Celtic legends of the Fae - beautiful, magical, and deadly creatures that have a love of messing with humans just for kicks and giggles?

Welcome to my world.

What started out as a strange assignment, lead to one of the most gruesome murder mysteries of our times. My friends and I are set and determined to find out who is killing off Fae and Witches alike.

Couple of problems in the way – I hate the Fae and the Prince of the Dark Fae is bound and determined that I work for him. He’s a rude, overbearing egotistical ass with a compulsive need to possess, dominate and control me. Oh – did I mention that he is absolutely sex-on-a-stick gorgeous and he makes me feel things that I never ever wanted to feel for a Fae...every time he touches me or looks at me with those dangerous golden eyes he seems to pull me further in under his spell, despite my better judgment.

My friends and I can’t trust anyone and nothing is as it seems on the surface – not even me.


My Review


4 The asses you hate to love Stars.



Fighting Destiny is the First book in The Fae Chronicles Series. Witches and Fae are being killed left and right. It's Synthia's job as a witch in the Guild, to enforcing laws that protect humankind from the rest of the Otherworld creatures. Syn is the best at what she does, but she is a rebel with a dark past. Syn doesn't play well with others, and she hates and distrust the Fae. So she couldn't believe it when she was hired to work for the Dark Prince of the Fae, Ryder. She doesn't trust Ryder, he is a rude ass jerk, use to getting what he wants, when he wants it, but she can't help the lust that burns in her for him. Ryder is powerful and he always gets what he wants. He doesn't ask, he takes. So when he wants the sassy witch that challenges everything he says and fighting him at every turn , no one will stop him from having her, not even her!

So this is the second time I have read this book. The first time I had a lot of mixed feelings about it. I liked it the first time, But I liked it more the second time around! There was parts of this book I really liked, but there where some parts of this book that I really didn't like.

Ryder:

Ryder confused the hell out of me one minute I liked him and the next I wanted to choke him. I think Ryder is kinda a dick. Sometimes he was this asshat that did things that I had a hard time seeing how Syn didn't just punch him in the throat. I had a hard time seeing how Syn could fall for him or trust him with the shit he pulled, then at other times he would do something sweet like have her dance on his feet. 


It confused me and made me unsure of how I felt about Ryder. Also I have always said there is a difference between a sexy dominant alpha male and a crazy controlling borderline abusive male and I feel like the line was blurred in this book with Ryder. He was just too mean and controlling at times!

"Keep lipping off, and I'll find a use for that tongue." "Keep dreaming, man-whore."


"Never challenge me. I promise that you will lose. Every. Fucking. Time."



She's Challenging me. Even now, her eyes narrow on me, watching me as I watch her back hungrily. Challenge fucking accepted. ~ Ryder




"Then I'll put you back together. I will never tear you down, Syn. I will always protect you from anything and everything that would. I've yet to find anything in this world, or any other, who can take me on- keep that in mind,"


Synthia:

Synthia I liked a lot. I felt sorry for the things she lived through. She was very loyal to her friends who I didn't feel were very good friends to her at times. She was very sassy, and she has mad skills as a witch. At times she confused me too. She was kickass one minute and then she would let Ryder walk on her the next. 

"I'm not a piece of fucking property! I cannot be owned!"


"I'm not like Claire, Ryder. I won't be used because you want sex. That's what it would be-right?"



"Fuck destiny. I decide my own destiny, Ryder. Not some fucking preordained bullshit,"


Syn and Ryder's relationship while very hott with sexual tension and some very sexy dirty talk,

"You're too tight. I want to put my cock in you so fucking bad, Syn. I want to drive it in until you scream my name. Do you want it, Witch? Do you want this Fae cock fucking your tight pussy until it comes for me?"




"Fuck me, Ryder-hard. I'm asking you to just give it to me, everything. Stop holding it back."


lacked something for me. They had a Lust/ hate relationship for almost the whole book. I think that it was that I felt Ryder should have tried building her trust and showed her that she could trust fae, that they were not all alike and that not all would steal your will and rape and feed from you until you are a FIZ, but instead he was very selfish and broke her trust repeatedly. She even tried to give him a chance to earn her trust and to let him in, like their date. What does he do, He takes her to a hunt!!!


The hunt where her choices where to sleep with him or he would let the next hunter have her and the next hunter wouldn't take no for an answer, so the hunter would rape her! Then if she chooses her ex boyfriend, Adrian at the hunt he would kill Adrian. So Syn basically had no choice!!! I am just not ok with that even if he does say:

"You want to be chased. You need the choice taken away from you. You fight your own desires, because you think you cannot handle it Syn. You punish yourself for something that happened long ago, something you couldn't have changed, because destiny decided it before you were even born. I'm just giving us both what we want."


I mean really? And she was ok with that and wanted to sleep with him pfff! Then after he and syn have sex for hours, he gets pulled from their bed to hear news that his people were attacked by witches. He believes they are from Syn's guild. So what does he do he chokes her, doesn't wait to find out what happens just decides Syn slept with him to set up the attack on his people. What a asshat again! I also didn't care for the FIZ mind control thing. I felt really sorry for Syn. She had a bad life and I felt trapped for her by Ryder and all the crap he pulls. Towards the end I think Ryder was confused by his own feelings for Syn and you do get to see him soften a little. I started to like the new sides that Ryder was showing. The ending OMG the ending was crazy making me Freak the freak out!



The story plot is great, the world was different in a good way, and it was written well and had lots of drama and plot twist. I can see that the book has the potential to become a great series depending on how the next book goes so I am on to the next book!



















No comments:

Post a Comment